Saturday, August 30, 2014

Dutch Wax Print

In the Spring of 2012, Marni designed a collection for H & M with this print being the most recognizable. I remember liking it because it is very peacock like. I know I have touched on high end designers collaborating with retailers before, so I won't explain it all again. But if you are interested, you can read about it here. Since I don't live near an H & M (I'll be about half an hour away from one when we move) I didn't put much effort into getting a Marni piece either in person or online.
 
Fast forward to this year, where I was reminded of this type of print when Anthropologie launched a partnership with Legend & Song and offered several items made with dutch wax fabric. To further my peaked interest, while in Chicago with Kristen back in May we wandered through a fair trade market where many dutch wax clothing items were being sold. I had decided then, that at some point, I would like to own a piece of clothing with a dutch wax print.
 
To get the history of dutch wax prints, you can read about them here. The best way that I would describe them is ethnic and bold. Truly statement pieces. The prints are so vast, and all so lovely, it can be overwhelming to settle on which one you like best. You can find pieces that are manufactured by companies like Anthropologie or H & M, or you can also find artisans who make handmade pieces both on eBay and Etsy. I casually started looking around, in no rush, and knew when the right item came along I would know it.
 
Usually, when people are selling the designer collaboration items on eBay, they are looking to make a profit because they have sold out quickly at the store. So finding a piece, the right size, with tags, for less than what it retailed for at H & M was rare! But that is what I ended up finding with this skirt.



Since it has generous pleating in the front, I was able to get it over the bump. But I cannot wait to wear it lower on the waist later on.
Just look at these colors! Eggplant purple, peacock teal, kelly green..... so many possibilities for tops and such. I settled on pulling an eggplant tank (Kohl's) and teal cardigan (Sears) that I already had for this styling session. I think it will look cute with tights and boots too for the colder months.
Time and patience, time and patience. I think that truly is my motto when it comes to creating my dream wardrobe!
Linking up with The Pleated Poppy

4 comments:

Kallie @ But First, Coffee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOVE the pattern on that skirt. So lovely.

GnomeLover said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the skirt that yo got! It is so pretty. I, too, have wanted the Dutch Wax items, but could not splurge on them. Am I delusional to think one day I might get one on a popback for $10? Um, yes. I love the skirt with the bump and I cannot wait to see how you wear it after pregnancy, too. You look beautiful. I never looked good pregnant. You look fabulous!

Jenni

Chioma said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

this is a beautiful skirt! It looks very similar to Ankara print fabric.

C's Evolution of Style

Liana said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Was scrolling through your posts, noticed these photos and thought that the fabric really looked similar to what I saw people wearing in Tanzania. I ended up bringing back about 10 meters of what I now know is dutch wax fabric and wasn't sure what to do with it... now I have a great idea. Thanks for the link on the history of dutch wax prints!