Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Costume Jewelry Makeover

Even though I make my own jewelry with cool gemstones and artist beads, I still cannot help but scan the costume jewelry section at stores when I am out shopping. I buy pieces here and there and wear them as is, OR take them apart and fashion them into new designs! I was excited to find some cool peacock feather earrings by Lucky Brand at Macy's a while back. After wearing them for a few hours - OUCH - they were too heavy! So I decided to make them into pendants. On another visit to Macy's, I found a long beaded necklace that had all the right colors and funky looking beads. So I bought it, rearranged their placement and length a bit, and attached the feather. Yippee!


Next, I have been a fan of Anne Choi for many years and have finally gotten around to purchasing some of her pieces.... I bought her 2 new owl beads! I used components from a necklace from the Express (that I had for years) and a necklace from Kohl's (recent find) to pull it all together. I knew I wanted different colors and finishes of metal on it. The part that is from Kohl's is the strand that is beaded. All of the other parts are from the Express necklace, and then I added some hematite stars as well. I wish my pictures would turn out better, but I will still keep experimenting with the best "techniques" for photographing jewelry. At any rate, I love the combination of silver, brass and copper and the rhinestone circle is unexpected and feminine in a look that I think is very "industrial".

4 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oh. my. gosh. I. want. this. necklace!

whatcha gonna do with this beauty? is it for yourself?
I can't even imagine.
I love anne choi.

I wish I could afford some of her stuff. Everytime I look, the owl beads are sold out.
you.are.so.lucky!!!!!

peacockfairy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks Lorelei! I think I am going to keep this one for myself. It's so hard to let go sometimes. :-) I have quite the collection of artist beads and have recently been wondering about insuring them since they are so expensive. I finally splurged on some Anne Choi. I'd rather have a funky beaded or gem necklace than something from a mall jewelry store anyday! I guess my husband is lucky I make all my own jewelry!

Lorelei Eurto said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh I don't blame you!
This is a fabulous piece. I just love the owl beads. Now I totally want one!! see what you did!??!
:)

peacockfairy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I would love to see what design you would come up with for the owl bead(s), so let me know if you end up getting one, or two, or....

I added a little bit more chain to the one side by the smaller bead yesterday as I thought it was too unbalanced and weak. I am going to try to wear it to work this week.