Monday, September 29, 2008

80's Flashback

Does anyone remember watching Faerie Tale Theatre as a child? I loved it so, and even though we did not have Showtime I remember my Mom renting the VHS tapes for me. Throughout the years I remembered the shows and always thought to myself, "I should look for those to purchase". And every time I went to eBay, I could only find bits and pieces of them. I was flipping through an entertainment magazine this weekend and was thrilled to see they released the entire collection on DVD this month. I promptly went online and ordered my set and I can't wait to get them! Here is a synopsis of the programs:

"Every episode of Faerie Tale Theatre, a children's TV program created by Shelley Duvall, is included in this collector's set, featuring lush, live-action adaptations of classic fairy tales. A Showtime staple from 1982 to 1987, the series consistently drew a vast array of prestigious collaborators, including directors Tim Burton and Francis Ford Coppola, award-winning actors Robin Williams, James Earl Jones, and Susan Sarandon, and even musicians such as Mick Jagger and Frank Zappa. This remarkable collection includes imaginative re-tellings of “Beauty and the Beast,” “Hansel and Gretel,” “Pinocchio,” and over 20 others."

I am sure when I watch them again, some of the props and special effects will be funny compared to what we have now. But they are so classic!

Speaking of the 80's, I also went to the basement to dig out my miniature shelf - I thought it would make a great bead organizer! Things like this, and antique dentist drawers, and such, have become really popular lately for organizing or make altered art. I remember many of my family members had these. I know I have all the little treasures carefully packed away too. It was a treat to go to the corner drug store and pick out a new piece and the majority of them were glued to a little cardboard square that you had to soak off. I found a picture on eBay as an example.
The back of my shelf is stamped "Enesco 1983". I think I am all set on bead organizers for a while now that I have pulled this out and I found the votive glass holders for my new peacock! But with any artist, it is surprising how quickly things can grow and accumulate!

No comments: