Friday, June 17, 2016

Painting Lately

I figured I would follow up yesterdays post with more talk about painting! Today I want to talk about Art 634 which houses Essa Arts in Jackson, MI.
 
Art 634 is a really cool building which is home to many artists. It is right next to The Armory, so you might recognize that I use the Armory and the alley way by the art building for blog photos as much as I can! In fact, while taking pictures one day, I met a really sweet photographer who works out of Art 634 who I'd love to have do our family pictures this Summer - right at the Armory where I wanted them done anyway! How perfect is that! I have really enjoyed starting to connect with people over here since I was so involved with the arts in Battle Creek.
 
Sheryl, the owner and artist behind Essa Arts, holds a variety of events for all ages. Over Easter, we took Richard to paint a very cute egg canvas. She's been exhibiting her work at Café Lilla, which is connected to my hair salon (Five One Seven salon), so I couldn't help but purchase one of her peacock paintings I fell in love with earlier this year while getting my hair done and grabbing a bite to eat! Finally, just a few weeks ago, I was able to take a class with her. Kristen and I took the Vintage Flowers class. I just love how it turned out and it was so fun! I really enjoyed all of the techniques we did to create the layers of texture, and it is already hanging in a great spot where I see it every day.
 
True to everything I do, I had to sort of "theme dress". We were heading to class straight after work so I knew I had to wear something comfy while still being artsy. I know, I'm weird. I choose all black with a bright floral kimono which mimicked the project very much. I threw on one of my handmade necklaces from years back that was "art" themed with a paintbrush and pencil charm, and a handmade polymer clay pendant from swoondimples that reads "art is a jealous mistress".
 
High Rise Black Jeggings : American Eagle
LuLaRoe Monroe Kimono
Rampage "Jabari" Sandals : Meijer
Necklace : made by me
 












No comments: