Monday, April 28, 2014

Trendy Observations

Being that I love fashion, I enjoy following the latest trends. There is a new show on E! called The Fabulist and each week they go through what's hot and if they love it or not. Many of the trends I was already familiar with and/or already seeing in stores. I thought I would recap my faves here.......
 
Buckles
The very first episode talked about buckles! I've already shared my collection of buckle shoes so I thought I would share some other items I love buckles on. Belts! The below pic is the Quadrivium Belt from Anthropologie from last year. I own this belt and just love it!
 
I could not get a picture of this one, but the Multistrap-Buckle Waist Belt by BCBG is another option.
 Far more expensive ($890!) is this number by Maison Martin Margiela. I get inspiration from these high end pieces because I think you can totally recreate this look on a budget by going to Goodwill and picking up random belts and wearing them together! That's what I plan to do!
 Look for the buckle trend on handbags and jewelry too!
 
High Waisted
I am loving high waisted bottoms - jeans, leggings, you name it! I remember being so frustrated a few years ago when all you could find in the stores were low-rise pants. Come on! How many times have you seen someone wearing those and they are unflattering? Would we even have the term "muffin top" if not for them?
 
Now, I am not talking "Mom Jeans" in the way of pleats and weird pocket placement. I am talking a higher rise or else a retro look. Let's face it: as our metabolism slows, and especially after having kids, we need some help smoothing things out. I am not ashamed to admit that even after having Richard I continued to wear my maternity tights. They were comfy and did not feel like they were falling down. If no one sees them anyway, who cares? I also recently bought a pair of high waisted leggings at a local boutique - LOVE them! Again, no one is going to see that part.
 
If you go the retro look - for jeans or pants - tuck your shirt in, add a belt, and show off that waist! What about retro swimwear? I had wanted a pair of high waist bottoms for a few years now. I always had black in mind because it would go with any top. But when I came across the suit below on Zulily, it was love at first sight! How cute is this?

 Jumpers, Rompers, Onsies
Whatever you want to call them, these one piece pant suits are all over the place. That's the thing with trends - they start out on the runway and then after a couple of years you will see them trickle down into your everyday stores. This one is from Anthropologie, but I am telling you if you go to Target, TJ Maxx, or the likes, you are going to find jumpers!
 Wide Legs, Harem, Pajama Pants
I've been wearing these for years, so it's nice to see them sticking around. And, just like the jumpers, being more mainstream at Target and Kohl's. My example is from Anthropologie again. You will either see a full on wide leg all the way down, or else some with a tapered ankle.
 Birkenstocks!
That's right! Birkenstocks are back! They've been on the runway, and if you search them on Pinterest you will see a lot of trendy ideas on how to wear them. Anthropologie's sister company, Free People, is carrying them. And fashion blogger favorite J. Crew has a selection as well. And, just like the good ole' grunge days, you can find some cheaper knockoffs. Check these out from JC Penney (I know I will be).
 
Ahhh, I used to have that Gizeh style (the JC Penney ones) but they are long gone. Lucky for me, I still have my trusty 2 strap ones from high school (pictured). They are a dark green suede and as you can see, toward the end of my love for them I decided to go extra hippie and glue some butterfly appliques on them. Yeah, you can see how well that worked! I am hoping that I can get the glue off with a wire brush or something, because these babies still have a ton of life! That's the thing about them, they are expensive, but they are an investment. Not to date myself or anything, but these are almost 20 years old! The more you wear them, the better they get. I got some little camo knock offs for my little guy too! I cannot wait to see his little feet in these!
So what do you think of these trends? These were all featured on The Fabulist over the last few weeks, and I thought it was fun that I noticed them while shopping too. As you can tell, I am already wearing - or will wear - all of them. Which ones do you love? Hate?

2 comments:

GnomeLover said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I LOVE the buckle trend. I think the rompers are so cute. And I love the harem pants. I have never tried them on, but they are probably my favorite trend right now. I love all of your wide legged pants! : )

Jenni

ALLIE NYC said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh I love those rompers there is place that just opened by me that has them and I plan on picking up a few.

Allie of ALLIE NYC
allienyc.com