Thursday, October 1, 2020

October 1st & DIY Belt Repair

 Could not ask for a more gorgeous morning on October 1st! This is one of my favorite places to take pictures, but I haven't been here in a while. Now, I am wondering why because the lighting is consistently amazing! This patchwork maxi dress was from the very first Scoop collection Walmart launched (2 years ago?). Scoop's Anthro vibe is what has kept me continuing to check in with the brand! This print is so unique, in part to that pop of blue. The floral dress I posted last week is the exact same style, so I love that they continue to keep a classic cut every season, but in different prints. This belt is thrifted, and read on if you want to hear about how I adjusted the size........

 I found this wide leather Michael Kors belt at my local thrift shop. It was a bit too big for me, but I bought it anyway because it was such a great find. Normally, when a belt is too big, it's an easy DIY or cobbler repair to "punch" another hole into the closure. But the way this one overlapped in the front, there was no way to pull the belt tighter and create that additional hole. So, I sat with it for a while, still thinking I'd take it to a cobbler to see what they would suggest.

 
 I saw that the pieces were sewn on and further enforced with a screw through the hardware. I decided to take a shot at "moving" this side to where I needed it. I carefully cut the stitching and unscrewed the one piece. You can see there is a faint mark where I removed this, but part of it would be covered by my reattachment placement and also the overlapping side. I feel like this would have been the same type of repair a cobbler would have done. Sewing through the woven material made it easier (and my hand stitching didn't have to be perfect) - I might not have tried this on solid leather as it would have been too hard.
 

View on the backside, and finished project. I love solving problems like this, and my motto has always been that if you like something enough you can always find a way to make it work.


 

No comments: