Monday, July 1, 2019

June Reads

I read 5 books in June, which I am surprised about because my free time has also been taken up with 3 shows I am currently watching (all of which are adaptations of books) The Handmaids Tale on Hulu, NOS4A2 on AMC, and Big Little Lies on HBO. Is there anything better than looking forward to a show or movie based off a book? I think not. Now, on to the book reviews!!!
The Plus One by Sarah Archer
This book comes out tomorrow (July 2). Thanks to J.P. Putnam's Sons I was able to get an advance reader copy. Kelly is a robotics engineer who is also a bit socially awkward and single. Her best friend and Mother are pressuring her to find a man, especially since she needs a date to her sister's upcoming wedding. Tired of blind dates and online dating, she decides to "build" her perfect guy. Ethan emerges and fools everyone, even Kelly's industry peers. Everyone is smitten with him, including Kelly. Will she be able to give him up when the time comes? Or will she realize he has taught her the most important lessons of relationships? This story was a bit cheesy/predictable but very addictive and I loved it! Highly recommend for a fun read!
 
The Farm by Joanne Ramos
I was really excited to read this book (library rental) because it was being compared to The Handmaids Tale. Even though it was not dystopian I still enjoyed it. I guess I just kept expecting something more to happen, when in reality this is something that is currently happening (wealthy people farming out the birth of their children). This story is mostly about differences in class and focuses on the main character and her aunt. Both immigrants, they do whatever domestic work they can find until Jane becomes aware of this wonderful opportunity to provide a child to a family, all the while living the pregnancy in a luxury type resort. She has to leave her own young daughter in the care of her aunt, a sacrifice she is willing to make in order to better their lives. Many women go on to birth additional children and/or become nannies for these affluent families - well paid options they would normally not have offered to them. As Jane is fulfilling her duties, she starts to worry about the care of her daughter and finds out her aunt was not completely honest with her. A very thought provoking book, especially as a woman and mother.
 
This book comes out later this month (July 23rd), so I am thankful to Crown Publishing for an early copy. I should probably note here that with this book, The Farm, and Where the Light Enters from last month, I am on a "theme" of reading books about women's issues. Home for Erring and Outcast Girls is based on a true story about a home in Arlington, TX that would take in "ruined" girls to rehabilitate them - AND to not take their children away from them which was common during that time period. What angered me most about the stories of these girls, is that the majority of the time they had no choice in what happened to them. They were at the mercy of their families, employers, etc... to be forced into prostitution, rape, addicted to drugs and then deemed unworthy of society. The story focuses on two main characters who come to the home around the same time and become life long friends. It also fast forwards to a modern day librarian researching the archives about the home and as she connects with Lizzie and Mattie she is forced to reconcile her own painful past. This one is hard to put down!
 
Here's to Us by Elin Hilderbrand
After a few "heavy" reads, I needed some Summertime fun. Elin always hits the spot as I work my way through her collection! I found this book at my local thrift store for $2! When Deacon suddenly passes away, his children, widow and 2 ex-wives are forced to reunite on Nantucket to say goodbye. His three loves couldn't be more different and have always avoided each other at all costs. Lots of drama unfolds as the family works through their own personal issues as well as losing Deacon. If you are an Elin fan, you will love this book!
 
Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand 
I moved right into another Elin...... this is her latest release so when I saw it on my local library shelf I figured I would grab it right away. Similar to The Identicals, this book is set on both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. It has more depth due to the time period, while also still being a light beach read. The Levin family is dealing with a lot..... Tiger has been drafted to Vietnam, which leaves his mother emotionally paralyzed until his safe return. Blair is pregnant with twins but struggling with giving up her independence as her new husband wishes. Kirby is ready to be independent despite her past trouble getting caught up in protests. Jessie is coming into womanhood but feels lost with the rest of her family dealing with their own problems. The war, Kennedy scandals, racism, and Woodstock all wrapped up in the charming way that only Elin knows how.


No comments: