Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Show Your True Colors

I am loving this LuLaRoe Liv tee, and it's message! How am I showing my true colors? After YEARS (at least 20) of maintaining blonde highlights I am in a mood to grow out my natural hair, greys and all. I've gotten into this type of mood before, but the difference before is that I'd dye all of my hair darker in an effort to match the roots and then I would always go back to blonde. This time it's hard core, long transition, and I know there are going to be many times that I "hate" it. Wish me luck.
In an effort to help the process, I've started looking at fun hair accessories, which is something I haven't cared about in years. I can think back to the banana clip and scrunchie phases of grade school (and hey, scrunchies are now back) and then again in my early 20's when the jeweled bug barrettes were trendy and I had a ton of them. But besides simple bobby pins or pony tail holders, that's about the extent of my experimenting. Today I am jumping on the oversized clip trend, and I've been obsessed with fabric covered and embellished headbands. I'm thinking I might try to do a hair specific post which would include a new waving iron I've been trying too.
It's actually a very liberating feeling to me right now, when you think about influencers on social media who are trying to keep up with hair extensions, eyelash extensions, manicures, makeup that takes forever with contouring your face to look different, cosmetic or plastic surgery procedures, spray tans, teeth whitening....... who has time for all of this??? When I first got out of high school, I didn't know what I wanted to do so I worked 2 jobs - receptionist at a salon and Victoria's Secret - two very superficial things. With my perks from the salon I was getting my hair done all of the time, tanned in the tanning bed, and had artificial nails. And of course I had all matching undergarment sets from VS. I was also really into department store makeup - Estee Lauder specifically. As a married Mom of two, the only thing I have held onto all of these years is my hair appointments - once every 2 months but it takes about 3 hours and costs at least $150. I justified if that was the only thing I did for myself, it was worth it. But as time has gone on, it just...... isn't that important anymore. The appointments were getting harder to fit in and then I was annoyed they took so long. Plus, maintaining blonde hair with hard water (even with a water softener) is a PITA! How laughable to think of my former self when now I am lucky if I can even get my toenails painted let alone my fingernails. I have maybe 2 dingy bras that fit fairly well. I am due to get some new underwear. If I can't find a beauty product at Meijer then I don't have time for it. 
If my willpower doesn't last, and I go back to highlights, don't judge. And hey, I will always and forever accept a massage gift certificate for some pampering!
 
Liv Style T-shirt : LuLaRoe
Massini Pearl Clips : Meijer
Sandals : Target (old)

No comments: