Thursday, July 18, 2019

The Who

I came across an Eri & Ali Scarf Printed Skirt from Anthropologie on a secondhand site. I loved the print but was a bit meh about the skirt style. I am so glad I found this same print in a maxi dress at TJ Maxx by the brand Tahari! This has happened to me numerous times - finding an Anthro item but labeled differently at TJ Maxx or Marshalls (see examples here). I usually always prefer a dress over a skirt, for comfort reasons. The straps and neckline on this one were a bit revealing and it was too hot to wear a jacket or sweater so I just did another favorite trick of mine - knot a tee over it!
When looking for accessories, I came across this owl necklace that goes perfectly! I made this necklace in 2010 and it was featured in a beading magazine at the time. It got me to thinking about the evolution of things - not just media but also interests in my life. When I started this blog, it was to promote and connect with people about handmade jewelry. Even though I had been making jewelry years prior, I definitely felt there was a "peak" when everyone had a blog, Etsy started up, and there were lots of magazines to submit your work to. Now though, many of the magazines are no longer in publication as digital media became more and more popular, Etsy became so large and "corporate" that many complained it moved away from it's original purpose, and people have moved away from blogging in favor of Instagram. I often wonder if I should keep blogging.
In thinking back to that time in my life (before kids) I was so ambitious..... I was always thinking about the "next job" I would be in. I did 2-3 art shows a year where I sold my jewelry as well as selling it online. Once I attained my goal of getting published, my next goal was making the cover. I completed a few 5Ks which I had never done before. I served several position on the board at my local art center. I scrapbooked with friends and cranked those pages out. I cared about keeping a garden.
Besides continuing this blog (now with a fashion focus) I don't do any of those things I listed above anymore. But I don't want to think of it as a bad thing. Life changes, and it doesn't mean that I will never make jewelry or scrapbook again (I still have all of my supplies, although a bit thinned out). It doesn't mean that I won't ever run again. It doesn't mean I won't volunteer my time again. It doesn't mean we won't get to our landscaping. Right now I am just enjoying my kids while they are young and admitting to myself that it's okay to just.be.content. during this extremely busy phase of life. I am happy with the time I carve out for myself for reading right now - I usually read every day. I love getting together with my friends - they are my best support system as we are all in this together. Even though you might think the description of my life above was hard - no - this time right now is the hardest! Parenting and sustaining a marriage and mid life changes are absolutely the biggest test you will ever go through!


No comments: