Wednesday, April 1, 2020

March Reads

Well, this was an odd month as our reality continued to change to finally settle on quarantine. I was thrilled at the thought of reading more, but so far I have not increased my daily reading time due to everyone being home, trying to work at home, home projects, and shows (which I will review at the end here).
 
The Falcon Thief, by: Joshua Hammer
I continued my fascination with bird books, and after reading The Feather Thief last month this book was on my radar (just replace bird feathers with bird eggs). I picked it up at a local book store. This was another true story, and again mind boggling to me the lengths people will go through. I think the summary of the story does it justice better than I would, so here it is:
On May 3, 2010, an Irish national named Jeffrey Lendrum was apprehended at Britain’s Birmingham International Airport with a suspicious parcel strapped to his stomach. Inside were fourteen rare peregrine falcon eggs snatched from a remote cliffside in Wales.

So begins a tale almost too bizarre to believe, following the parallel lives of a globe-trotting smuggler who spent two decades capturing endangered raptors worth millions of dollars as race champions—and Detective Andy McWilliam of the United Kingdom’s National Wildlife Crime Unit, who’s hell bent on protecting the world’s birds of prey.

The Falcon Thief whisks readers from the volcanoes of Patagonia to Zimbabwe’s Matobo National Park, and from the frigid tundra near the Arctic Circle to luxurious aviaries in the deserts of Dubai, all in pursuit of a man who is reckless, arrogant, and gripped by a destructive compulsion to make the most beautiful creatures in nature his own.
 
The New Husband, by: D.J. Palmer
This book is set to release on April 14, 2020 - I traded for it in a book swap. This is the second book I've read by this author, and he is really good at fast paced twisty plots. Nina's husband disappears, but no body is ever found so she and her kids never have closure. As a new man enters their life, everyone except Nina's daughter is accepting of him. He's almost too good to be true, but as time goes on, more and more odd things keep happening. Was it fate, or was it planned for Simon to come into their lives. If you like this genre, I would highly recommend.
 
Always The Last To Know, by: Kristan Higgins
I received this advance reader copy from Berkley Publishing (thank you!), set to release June 9, 2020. This is another author where this is the second book I have read by them, so it's safe to say I enjoy their writing. Right before their 50th anniversary, Barb decides she is going to ask John for a divorce. But then he has a stroke and while he's in the hospital she finds out he was having an affair! The story also follows their two completely different daughters, who rally around their parents during this difficult time. Juliet is a successful architect, married with two girls, but lately going through her own midlife crisis. Sadie is a free spirited artist who is drawn to New York but soon realizes the mistake she made with the love of her life in her hometown. All around a very relatable story in so many aspects! Kristan was able to hit so many nails on the head here, as the chapters switch from character to character. I believe it was chapter 5 in particular, where Barb was describing her life with John, and it was EXACTLY what I talk to my close girlfriends about...… it was a perfect description of how woman feel. I love this book!
 
The Long Flight Home, by: Alan Hlad
Since I've been craving books about birds, this was another book swap for me. Also, I thought reading war stories would give me good perspective during this odd time. This was based on the true stories of using homing pigeons to carry messages to war torn France. It also included an unexpected love story. I enjoyed this and learning more about these amazing birds was a bonus (I love seeing pigeons walking the streets in Chicago). And, reading about night after night of bombing made me realize I can handle being in my comfy home if that is what is required of me.
 
At The Wolf's Table, by: Rosella Postorino
This has been on my "to read" list, so I was thrilled to pick it up on the bargain table at Meijer ($5.97). I thought I would jump into another WWII book, again, because of our current situation. Unfortunately, this book was not as good as I had hoped. It follows the story of Rosa, who is one of 9 "food tasters" for Hitler. Her husband is off at war, and soon to be declared missing. Three times a day, she goes to the "Wolf's Lair" to eat, not knowing if it will be her last meal. A strong theme in the book is the relationships the women (tasters) form. Rosa also falls in love with an unlikely person, which torments her. I just couldn't really attach myself to any of these characters, and the ending was odd. Plus, I had so many logical questions myself...…. the main fear was food suppliers trying to poison Hitler. The women would eat the meals, and then wait an hour to see if anything happened to them before the food was served to Hitler. So what if someone on the inside of his lair poisoned the food within that hour?
 
Okay, let's talk shows we are currently watching.....
 
Schitt's Creek: So sad this is the final season, and next week is the final episode!!! So much for a fun themed viewing party, but maybe we can do it another time.
 
Brockmire: This is the third and final season of this show, and I have to say the first season was the best. It's dark humor, and while this season was filmed before Corvid came along, it's hauntingly odd. It takes place 10 years into the future, and some states are apocalyptic, the Amazon forest is completely gone, and things like baseball are no longer of interest. There is a medication for "content overload" which was pretty hilarious!
 
Little Fire Everywhere: So anxious for this after reading the book, and it does NOT disappoint! It is SO GOOD!!! Reese just nails this character, just as she did in Big Little Lies - love her! Kerry is really good too and their scenes together? Soooo tense!
 
Have not watched Tiger King yet, but so want to!!!


1 comment:

James David said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very Nice Post, I learned a lot through it. Thanks for posting. embroidery digitizing