Thursday, April 30, 2020

April Reads


Well, this month was a record 9 books!!! I feel like I finally got into the type of reading rhythm I was expecting from being at home. And, I enjoyed most all of these books immensely so maybe that made for faster reading too.
 
The Couple Next Door, by: Sheri Lapena
The first few pages of this book pull you in, and then you cannot put it down. Very fast paced and only taking place in a short period of time. Anne and Marco's infant daughter mysteriously disappears and all evidence points to them. There are actually several suspects in the story and it keeps you guessing what happened. Spoiler alert - their daughter is found and the mystery is solved, but something happens at the end to leave readers hanging. I rated this 5 stars on Goodreads.
 
The Lion's Den, by: Katherine St. John
I received an advance reader copy - thank you Grand Central Publishing! Release date is May 19, 2020. This story makes the reader wonder what went wrong in a friendship, as two women continue to "fake" their relationship. As Belle agrees to a whirlwind vacation on Summer's latest billionaire boyfriends yacht, there are flashbacks giving background to how they grew up and became friends. Summer has changed though, and now will do anything to benefit herself and her lifestyle. And Belle will find out just how far she is willing to go. Another one that I could not put down, and gave a 5 star rating to. The details of the vacation in the Mediterranean was a fun setting for this thriller too.
 
Don't Turn Around, by: Jessica Barry
I received an advance reader copy of this book from Harper - thank you! Expected release date is June 2, 2020. Two women, who are strangers (and who both have secrets to hide) embark on a trip across the New Mexican desert in the middle of the night. Cait is a driver for a women's organization that helps transport women who need help and anonymity. Rebecca is her passenger, married to a man with a high rising political career. They soon encounter danger, and neither of them know which one of them is being targeted. This book touches on current events such as women's rights and the "metoo" movement, and it is interesting to see Cait and Rebecca's relationship develop as it soon becomes clear they are now fighting for their lives. Yet another 5 star page turner!
 
The Second Home, by: Christina Clancy
 Thank you St. Martin's Press for this advance reader copy. Release date is June 2, 2020. When I first read the summary of this book, it reminded me of The Guest Book that I read last year. Estranged siblings are forced to determine the fate of their family's expensive and in disrepair vacation home when their parents pass. While that is the theme of this book, The Second Home was so much more! The story turns in a very unexpected way within the first quarter that had me hooked. I was able to connect with these characters and places so much more than The Guest Book. The family's hometown was Milwaukee, and since I was born and raised in Wisconsin I knew exactly every reference the author used. And, growing up with a similar annual Summer vacation experience, I know how important that connection is. 5 stars!

Station Eleven, by: Emily St. John Mandel
In the beginning of March, my friend Sarah and I were traveling back from Chicago just as the virus was hitting close to home. We were talking about books that reminded us of the current state of affairs, or really more like the aftermath of a pandemic. She recommended Station Eleven and lent it to me. The story is about a group of people, and how they are all connected, 20 years after a "flu" wipes out 99.9% of the population. It flashes back into each of their lives to tell the backstory, and now the focus is on a traveling group of performers on the Michigan coast. While I enjoyed this book, it made me uneasy. Last month I read two books about World War 2, and while they gave me perspective with what we are going through now, we know the war ended and we've had time to work through the effects. Since we don't know when this pandemic will end, or what the long term changes will be, it made reading the book hard. Especially since it takes place during the time of cell phones and internet, and then losing it all.

 The Woman in the Window, by: A.J. Finn
I got a copy of this book from a swap group I am in, and with the upcoming movie adaptation, I jumped into reading it. Anna Fox is a recluse in her New York City home. She spends her days chatting and playing chess online, watching old movies, spying on her neighbors, drinking wine and self medicating. So when she sees a crime committed in the house across the street, it is hard to tell what is real and what is not. The detectives, her tenant, and neighbors all doubt her sanity. In most thrillers, you are able to come up with a few scenarios of who the "bad guy" is or what really happened. But in this book, I was shocked at the end which is a sign of successful writing! I can't wait to see the movie when we are able to go to the theater again. Amy Adams plays the lead character, and she is so good in these type of roles. She was amazing as the lead in the HBO miniseries based on the Sharp Objects book!

The First Mistake, by: Sandie Jones
This is the second book I've read by this author (and I believe it is her second novel as well). The theme reminded me of The New Husband, which I read last month, as it is about a woman whose husband died but is now "happily" remarried. Yet another twisty thriller, it certainly was a page turner for the majority of the book. It was one where you could come up with your own theories, but then it got really far fetched which annoyed me. Then, I guess there was a part that made sense again??? But then, the ending totally sucked! I liked this author's first book better.

What You Wish For, by: Katherine Center
   I received this advance reader copy from St. Martin's Press - thank you! Publish date set for July 14, 2020. This is the 3rd book I have read by Katherine and I must say she is one of those authors for me where you know what you are going to get (like Elin Hilderbrand). Also, we can sometimes get burnt out by cover trends but in this case I love the similar floral designs on Katherine's books! Katherine's characters have complicated pasts which prevent them from finding love, but the endings are usually happy. In What You Wish For the focus was a charming school on an island off of Texas. It touched on the current event topic of school shootings. I really enjoyed Sam and Duncan, their stories, and how they ended up together.

Normal People, by: Sally Rooney
  My friend Sarah loaned me this book, after recommending it. She was reading it in Chicago while we were there. The newly released series on Hulu based on the book prompted me to read it so I could binge the show. This book was a pretty different style than what I am used to, but I really enjoyed it. The story follows the love story of Marianne and Connell, starting in high school. From different social classes, they keep their relationship a secret. As they grow into adulthood and experience the world, they feel a bit more open about their connection. No matter where they travel or who they date, it is apparent that they can only truly be themselves with each other. Unlike most books, there is no huge climax, cliff hanger, or real ending..... but it all feels okay. I liked how each chapter jumped forward in time, usually by weeks or months.  

No comments: