Monday, December 2, 2019

November Reads

If there was a common theme in the books I read in November, it would be "thought provoking".
 
The Warehouse by: Rob Hart
Is it ironic that a book that is basically about Amazon can be bought on Amazon? This will be made into a movie and it is a topic that I think is highly important for everyone to be aware of! I'll be the first one to say that I love a good deal and I love convenience, but I am smart enough to know that it comes at a cost - not just to our economy but also to our privacy (I personally am not much of an Amazon shopper). The Warehouse follows two employees - both there for different reasons. Imagine an apocalyptic world where The Cloud is the only place to work..... and LIVE! You are monitored with a watch and rated daily and everything you should ever need is all right there. In the spirit of Cyber Monday, I've seen Amazon pop up quite a bit in the news. There were protests outside Bezo's home regarding treatment of employees. This article in the New York Times is a long read, but worth it (it sites many things in The Warehouse that are already happening!!!). Here's an article about the security risks of a Smart TV. I am continually amazed at how much people are willing to give up their privacy without even thinking about it - scary stuff!
 
Qualityland by: Marc-Uwe Kling
Since I was in the mood to read another book on the topic, I picked up Qualityland (will release on January 7, 2020). This book follows the same theme as The Warehouse, but it's more comical and similar to movies like "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", "Wall-E", or "Idoicracy".  A little less impactful than The Warehouse, but still a good read on the topic!
 
American Dirt by: Jeanine Cummins
Thank you to Flatiron Books for this advance reader copy (releases January 21, 2020). Wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow is what I have to say about this book. One of the best reads this year and very eye opening!
Lydia Quixano Pérez lives in the Mexican city of Acapulco. She runs a bookstore. She has a son, Luca, the love of her life, and a wonderful husband who is a journalist. And while there are cracks beginning to show in Acapulco because of the drug cartels, her life is, by and large, fairly comfortable. Even though she knows they’ll never sell, Lydia stocks some of her all-time favorite books in her store. And then one day a man enters the shop to browse and comes up to the register with a few books he would like to buy―two of them her favorites. Javier is erudite. He is charming. And, unbeknownst to Lydia, he is the jefe of the newest drug cartel that has gruesomely taken over the city. When Lydia’s husband’s tell-all profile of Javier is published, none of their lives will ever be the same. Forced to flee, Lydia and eight-year-old Luca soon find themselves miles and worlds away from their comfortable middle-class existence. Instantly transformed into migrants, Lydia and Luca ride la bestia―trains that make their way north toward the United States, which is the only place Javier’s reach doesn’t extend. As they join the countless people trying to reach el norte, Lydia soon sees that everyone is running from something. But what exactly are they running to?
 
Sometimes I Lie by: Alice Feeney
I was in the mood for a thriller, but this one was just okay to me. It was a bit confusing at times, but the ending left off to where the author could write about these characters again. I also admit that what I read after something that really affects me just falls a bit flat anyway.
My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.
Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can’t move. She can’t speak. She can’t open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn’t remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do with it. Alternating between her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago, this brilliant psychological thriller asks: Is something really a lie if you believe it's the truth?


No comments: