Sunday, September 15, 2019

TJ Maxx / Marshalls Finds

I LOVE shopping at stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls because you never know what you are going to find. And as you can see from my selection above, I am all about a variety of prints and colors - which makes shopping at these stores a bit easier I would say. I've had some GREAT luck this Summer so I thought I would do a recap here, along with some tips.
My most exciting find about a month ago was this Essentiel Antwerp dress that was sold at Anthropologie in 2017 for $368....... I got it for $19.99!!! It was the only one there, so who knows where it has been lost for the past two years. I remember loving this dress, and even trying it on, on the sale rack at Anthro in Chicago. Even at sale price it was still expensive. It is a long sleeved dress with the most vibrant floral print - perfect for Fall - and I can't wait to wear it and post it here soon!
This Tahari maxi dress (posted here) ranks up there as one of my favorite purchases. It was $29.99.
I just did some pattern mixing (posting soon) with this statement tie dye maxi skirt. A great piece at $12!
I found this pretty peacock tunic the same night as the Essentiel Antwerp find. It was $19.99.
 
Okay, so here's my tips:
 
1. Don't get stuck on sizes! The sizing world is messed up as it is, but especially so at stores like this. Many times, clothing will be at TJ Maxx/Marshalls because something is "off" about it and it was unable to be sold elsewhere. For reference, I am usually a Large or 12/14. So check out the sizes I actually bought in these items: Tahari maxi dress - small - due to it's stretchy jersey knit and empire style, it is more than forgiving. Tie Dye skirt - Large - the waist is elastic and I tried on all 3 sizes (S, M, L), which all fit, but took the Large because I liked how the fabric laid the best. Peacock tunic - 1X - I found this blouse in the plus section, but because I love a good flowy top I was not afraid of what the tag said. Essentiel Antwerp dress - 8 - I remember this dress being generous from trying it on years ago (I think I tried a 6 then). With there only being one dress, I had no choice but to give it a go. I still have lots of room in this, but it's amazing. So, the lesson is always try stuff on!!!
 
2. Go often and stay positive. Sometimes I will have a run of "bad luck" where I will not find a single thing when shopping at these stores for months. And then other times (like this Summer) I will have the best of luck. They are always getting new items in, so go often because quantities and sizing might be limited. Also, try multiple locations! Because of the randomness of the selection, one store might have something the other doesn't. This can be frustrating if you found something you love and you need a different size and none of the other stores around you have it (i.e. it's not like a typical department store where you can try a different store or order it online). TJ Maxx does have an online store (Marshalls doesn't) but I've found the selection to be very different than the store and you can't search by brand. But that doesn't mean there aren't some gems to find online. Anyway, back to my original point = the TJ Maxx in Jackson is pretty typical but the one in Ann Arbor has the "Runway" department so they carry higher end items.
 
3. Don't go with a specific item in mind. If you have an item, or list of items, you are looking for chances are you'd be better off at department store. You might find it at TJ Maxx/Marshalls, but I don't think I've ever had luck like that. Go to TJ Maxx/Marshalls for the unexpected surprises! That is what is fun about it and what I love!

1 comment:

Joe Blow said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Just jacked off to the pictre of you in that pretty blue skirt