Sunday, September 8, 2019

Let's Talk Hair

I think I mentioned at some point that I was going to stop coloring my hair - or at least stop coloring it the same way that I have been for about 20 years (highlights + color/base breaker on roots). At least that is what I am trying to stick with. I knew the grow out process would be hard, so I wanted to come up with some ways to accessorize my hair and distract from my huge roots. Luckily, hair accessories are back in a big way. First, I am loving the oversized clips. I love mixing several together (above) or wearing at least two of the same at a time (below). 
 You don't have to go anywhere fancy to find clips either (although you can if you want to)! The Time & Tru ones are from Walmart, and all the others are from Meijer!
I am also loving thick fabric headbands! Even if I just have my hair up in a ponytail, I throw one on for a little something extra.
I ADORE the brand NamJosh which you can buy direct from or Anthropologie carries. The bead work and embroidery is amazing, but they are pricey. I watch for sales or stalk eBay/Poshmark for them, which is where I got the silver one below. For a lower priced dupe, I got the blue one below at Target. The nice thing I've found about these is they don't pinch behind your ears like the headbands of my past.
Roots are going to blend better with curly hair versus straight. I've typically always used a basic curling iron on my hair, which works best if I decide not to wash my hair that morning. I recently starting seeing bloggers I follow use a hair waver, but of course growing up with "crimpers" I was skeptical. I watched a few tutorials before committing to buying one. The trick is to use the waver for the majority of your hair (section off bottom, middle and top). Then for the top section, use the curling iron. This will give the most natural look because anyone who has used a waver knows it is hard to get right up to the roots and not have any odd marks. The waver will give tons of texture and volume under the top layer of curls.
 

Again, no need to spend a fortune on hair tools : Peacock hair dryer from TJ Maxx, Hot Tools curling iron from Meijer, Bed Head waver from Target!


No comments: