Thursday, October 26, 2017

Groundhog Day

Let's talk about routines today! Can we all agree that sometimes the day to day feels a bit...... boring? There are tasks that need to be done whether you want to do them or not (i.e. if I don't wash the boys lunchboxes, I won't have anything to pack their food in tomorrow). My morning starts with rolling out of bed and letting Biscuit out. Going into the kitchen with bleary eyes to pack the lunches/backpacks. Getting the boys ready and Carson goes with Jon to get dropped off. I set Richard up with breakfast and go take a shower. Help him get on the bus and then I am alone to finish getting ready. Can I just say, I love being in my house alone! To the point of it being a physical need sometimes. I am not doing anything fun or exciting, but just the quiet helps start the day better. On the mornings when we are out of routine - for instance if Jon works from home and I have to drop Carson off in the middle of the peak drop off time - I feel it. What can I say, I am old and set in my ways..... I am an introvert and I can now recognize what it is I need on a daily basis to be my best self. So off to school and work we go and then when we get home it's unpacking backpacks, dinner, wash dishes, bath, bedtime. After the kids are in bed we are either watching TV, or for me blogging or reading. There are a few shows we watch together but mostly Jon is in the typical "Dad" spot on the couch every night watching his shows. As mundane as this all sounds, there is such comfort in this life. I can't wait to get home from work, looking forward to a good dinner, tucking the kids in bed, curling up on the couch.
There are days though where I get the "I don't want to" attitude. Where I am so sick of packing lunches and so over washing dishes. Or else I feel like I should be doing something more productive with my free time. But then I feel guilty for complaining and remind myself how fortunate we are. I try to think of it as: we are lucky to have food to cook which results in dirty dishes. We are lucky to have clothes to wear which results in doing laundry. Recently, I came across a Mom who was re-wording her lists.... instead of thinking of things as "I have to......", replace have with "get" or "want". I get to return the library books. I want to clean the boys closets.
So what does all this have to do with this post? I've always loved showing how to re-wear pieces in different ways, but then I wonder if it's too boring. Meaning, a lot of people read fashion blogs to find something new and exciting they might want to go out and buy. But if I'm wearing a dress for the third time that sold out last Spring, is that frustrating? On the flip side, I want to show how to change the look of something even if it's as simple as what jacket or sweater to throw on over it. It's easier to change up a look with separates rather than a statement dress like this. Yes, I have a lot of clothes but that doesn't mean they are all "new" all the time. Also, it's sometimes the "little things" that help you get through the day to day: recreating an outfit, treating yourself to coffee, meeting a friend for lunch...... 
The first time I wore this dress, I went more neutral with the olive green jacket and brown belt/shoes. Then to pull out the blue flower I did a jean jacket. The last time I wore it before retiring it for the Winter was with black to fit the changing season. If I can wear a dress for 3 seasons, that's a winner in my book! This is probably my favorite dress purchase this year!
Main Piece:

Marigold Off the Shoulder Maxi Dress : Loft (maternity version still available)
 
Accessories:
Hei Hei Olive Jacket : Anthropologie buy/sell/trade board
Gap Jean Jacket : consignment shop
Black Sweater : Casual Corner
Brown & Black Belts : Target
Jessica Simpson Sunglasses : TJ Maxx
Brown Sandals : Payless
Black Ankle Strap Wedges : Rockport
Catherine Malandrino Heels : Zulily
Necklaces : made by me

No comments: