Monday, January 13, 2014

China

My hubby is in China right now for work. Whenever he is gone, I get a burst of domestic energy and I sometimes tackle projects that I might not normally do. I am pretty sure it is to keep myself busy so that I don't think about him being gone and so the time goes fast.
 
 It's been 11 years since I've been to China myself, and when we moved into our house shortly after one of the rooms was wallpapered and painted to suit an Asian theme. I had collected quite a few treasures in my 2 trips, and we were also heavy Pier 1 shoppers when we were first married. This is our guest bedroom, and it is the only room in the house were the walls have not been refreshed in the 11 years we have been here.
 
Fast forward to now, as we are trying to sell our home. Some of the feedback we've gotten is the bedrooms are too small. The size is not something we can do anything about, but we could change the staging. Here is a pic of the room before. As you can see, as soon as you walk into the room the bed is there.
When my sister-in-law was visiting last weekend, she suggested moving the bed to the opposite wall. I am really pleased with how it turned out.

Now when you walk into the room, you see a ton of the beautiful wood floor. It feels a lot more open. I had the thought to get a rug (I would angle it, as if inviting you into the room and put it only halfway under the bed) but then I thought why cover up that floor? Maybe if I find a really awesome deal as I don't want to spend a lot.


The nice thing about this busy wallpaper, is you can't see nail holes! The way the room was before, these pictures were paired up and hung on different walls. I wanted to do something a little more unpredictable. I've done other collage walls in the house, and I jumped at the chance to do one that spanned 2 walls with a corner. Since the bed doesn't have a headboard, I like the way this art collection pulls they eye into the room.
Who knows if it will make a difference or not, but it was fun to play around with since I love decorating my home!

2 comments:

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a difference, Heather! You are 100% correct, staging the rooms to best advantage is key, especially if it simplifies tidying prior to showings :) Unless you are in a raging seller's market (not too many are these days), it is essential to differentiate your property from all the rest. IMHO, your bedroom does have a relaxed feel which should be very appealing. Good luck with your sale!

GnomeLover said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love how you changed the room. I so agree with you on not putting a rug down. Buyers will fall in love with that beautiful hardwood floor. Don't hide it! I love that mask with the beard! It is awesome!

Jenni