Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Postcard Salon

Remember when I blogged about the postcard sale at the Art Center last year? Well, the now annual event is coming up next week! After attending and buying last year, my mind was already reeling about how I could participate this year. Each artist can submit up to 5 "postcards" - works of any type of media as long as they are 4 x 6 in size. I was able to create 3, all with a peacock theme of course!
Since I am a beader, first and foremost, I wanted to come up with a way to incorporate beads into one of them. Here, I took a photo of a peacock feather and glued bugle beads in coordinating colors onto it. The eye of the feather was the part that was most saturated with beads, and then I got a little less dense as the feather fanned out. This was a great way to use up bugle beads from my early beading days that I probably wouldn't ever use. I then put a nice clear protective coat of varnish over the entire thing, and then used some excess foil tape (from stained glass) to create a frame around it.
I knew I wanted to hand forge a copper piece, but wasn't quite sure what the design would be. Then I remembered I had this etched peacock feather already completed, but not reserved for any particular project yet. I riveted it to the postcard, after I put some decorative etching on the 4 x 6 piece and also stamping in the entire Emily Dickinson poem "Hope is the thing with feathers"....... Lots of patina and steel wool to get the finish just right.
And finally, I did a wood piece. I burned a cute border and the words wish, hope, dream. Then, I attached a wood peacock and flower which I found in the scrapbook section at Michael's. I burned a few accents on those components as well.
The postcards will be on display at the Art Center starting this weekend, and the sale will take place on Thursday, April 8th at 6:00 p.m. However, if you are an Art Center Member, you are allowed to make your selections to purchase at 5:55 p.m. (nice little perk). The postcards sell for $20 each - what a great price for a mini work of art! If you are in the Battle Creek area next Thursday, you don't want to miss it!

3 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

curious.
can you do a tutorial post on how to rivet??
these are all lovely by the way!

TesoriTrovati said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You go! Those are so very you, Miss Heather! I love the riveted one. That is really special. And you should post a tutorial on riveting. I have done it but could use a refresher and you seem to do it really well.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Erin Siegel said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful work, Heather! I'm in love with the beaded one! WOW! That is amazing! I don't know how you got all those beads so perfect! It looks gorgeous.