Thursday, June 18, 2020

Get the Look for Less : Chicwish

Before I get into today's post, I want to mention that I buy a lot of stuff "off season" (a good deal hunter should) and then I have to wait until the appropriate weather to wear it. So it may seem like I've just gone on a shopping spree when I have a surge of posts, when really I have been stockpiling until the time is right! Yesterday I posted about taking a chance on a dress from Shein, and today I am talking about trying Chicwish. This creamsicle dress was another "IT" piece last Summer, but it retails for $427! When I saw it on Chicwish I decided to also search for it on eBay and Poshmark. That is another tip if you are scared to order from these sites - it seems like if an item from these retailers does not work out for someone, rather than hassle with returning it by mail they will just sell it themselves. This is a good way to get real life measurements and fit (if the seller doesn't list these details, you can ask). So, I ended up buying this Chicwish branded dress on Poshmark for even less (I got it for $30). Like yesterdays Shein dress, it is an XL, and again none too generous in the bust.
Showing it as a layering piece with jeans too. I would normally wear something sleeveless with the sheer arms, but I am in serious need of replacing my white sleeveless tops as they have seen better days. On a similar note, it bothers me that the lining in this dress has a stopping point mid-thigh too. But alas, so does the $427 version which I think sucks if you are paying that kind of money. DIY solution - you could cut the entire lining out and find your own sleeveless white slip dress to wear under it. The bad part is it would have to match the hi-lo hemline perfectly. A pricier option would be to bring it to a tailor to have a professional lining put in that covered the entire dress. For a $30 dress, I have to decide just HOW much it bothers me and most likely I will just wait until a DIY slip crosses my path. Links to Chicwish below, as well as a similar option at Steinmart (my latest fav to find dupes at!). Also linking the original dress for reference.


Vacay Paradise Gradient V-Neck Maxi Dress : Chicwish, currently $79.90
Rainbow Ombre Button Front Maxi Dress : Steinmart, currently $41.98

Rococo Sand Ciel Dress : Revolve, currently $427

No comments: