Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Updated Grunge

I lived through the grunge-era in high school. Way over sized flannels...... Doc Martin boots...... numerous mosh pits at concerts (maybe I'll recount those memories here some day). 
Some things never go out of style, like plaid and flannel. But hopefully, this more fitted version - while well worn - gives a nice update. 
Feminine details like a little crochet on the hem helps.
One of my style struggles this Winter has been booties. They are oh so popular, and I bought a bunch last year (some evidence here). I've had no problem wearing them with dresses and skirts, but with pants? Hmmmm. I know the style is to show a little skin in between the pant hem and boot (even though, brrrrr, but we suffer for fashion, right?). But how do you achieve this unless you buy pants that are shorter (which might not be practical with other footwear) or roll them (which I know is acceptable now, but how much is too much roll or cuff?). I feel like these 2 options make my legs look "stumpy". Luckily, the jeans I am wearing today are skinny enough to tuck inside the boot to my liking. But here's another question....... with open detail boots like this, do you try to match the color of your socks (which I did here) or go for contrast? I know I am going to keep experimenting with this challenge of mine.
Levi's Skinny Jeans - Macy's
Free People "Lost in Plaid" shirt (old)
Motherhood Maternity white tank
Booties - Zulily
Beaded Peacock Feather Necklace - made by me

2 comments:

GnomeLover said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh! I want that flannel. It is fantastic! I like aspects of the grunge style still, too. You and I are so much alike. I swear I was just having this exact trouble with pants and booties two days ago! I finally gave up and just wore them, but I need to figure out the rolling thing. You look so happy and pretty!

Jenni

Shelley said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love the outfit you put together! That shirt is so cute! You look great :)