Monday, July 27, 2020

DIY : Reverse Tie Dye

 This past Spring, I was finding tiered dresses all over the place for around $15. This style, with the tiers starting further down, was from Meijer. It came in dusty blue, pink, and grey. I first bought the blue, and then eventually grabbed the pink and grey too. You would think this dress I DIY'ed is the pink one, but it is actually the grey one! Wanting to try my hand at tie dye, but also wanting my first attempt to be with supplies I already had, I decided to do the reverse method (with bleach). It's pretty much the same steps as tie dye but instead of putting color into a light garment, you are bleaching color out of a dark garment.
 This dress was not too dark a grey, but not light either. You can look online to find lots of pattern ideas and how to gather the fabric to achieve them. I was going for the bullseye circles and filled up the dress with rubber bands. The bleach acted fast and I was surprised at how a grey dress ended up peach?!?!?! It's hard to see in these pictures, but even the light areas have lots of definition/splotchyness. Now that I have done it, I wonder if I would have rinsed it faster if I would have still kept some grey. I feel like tie dye is one of those projects where you can't predict the outcome 100%. Overall, this was fun and I am pleased with how it turned out. I can see how this would be addictive and I am glad that if I do this again I can take what I learned and make it even better (tightness of rubber bands, rinsing time like I mentioned). When I wore this dress in blue, I belted it. But I like the tie dye option loose and flowy!

No comments: