Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Dresser Project

One of my projects this Summer was refinishing this cool dresser I got at a friends garage sale. When I first bought it, I thought I would flip it and sell it at our booth space. But then, as I started working on it, I just loved it too much! Plus, neither of the boys have dressers (although they do just fine with their well organized closets). But, you never know when you will need a good ole' dresser, even in a spare bedroom or repurposed in an entryway, etc...... I knew immediately I wanted to try a 2 tone finish on this, so I decided on a painted base and stained drawers. All the materials I used, we already had (sandpaper, paint, stain, brushes, etc...) so all I have into this is the $50 I paid for it and my labor.

It came with all of it's original hardware, which I was thrilled with! It also has a mirror attachment, but there was no mirror in it. I decided not to use it for the dresser, however I may repurpose that piece by putting a chalkboard into the frame and hanging it where we might need a chalkboard. I LOVE the keyholes even though we don't have they key and don't have a need to lock the drawers. I just went over all of the metal with some steel wool to brighten it up a bit while still maintaining its patina.
It ended up looking most at home in Carson's room for now. We used to have a bookshelf in this area, but it was an unorganized mess! The only problem with being a believer in "using what you have" is that the leftover house paint I used is pretty much almost every wall in our house! So if I were looking for it to "pop", I would have to paint it a different color (or use some tinted wax on it - I will be posting another project where I used this soon). I do, however, love the way it turned out - just as it is!
If you want to see details on the embroidery hoop photo collage, see this link.
If you want to see the maternity photos featured, see this link. 


No comments: