Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Recent DIY

Remember when we did my maternity photo shoot? I wanted to come up with some unique way to display the pictures. I just love a collage or grouping of similar pictures. For our last family session, I found a huge frame with an already made mat in it. I love it, but since I've been on my "use what I have/shop my home" kick I did not want to go out to purchase another frame like that.

I can't say this is my original idea, but I just tweaked it for my own use. 

I've always loved the idea I'd seen on Pinterest where people put decorative fabric into embroidery hoops and then hang them in a grouping. I couldn't really think of a use for that in the new house though. Then a lightbulb went off when thinking of displaying these pictures. I actually stitched the pictures onto fabric, and then added some embellishments.

I had the embroidery hoops from decorating for a bridal shower I threw last year - I picked them up at the local Charitable Union store for a quarter each. Of course I had thread, buttons, lace and some fabric flowers (some of which were leftover from the shower too). The only thing I was coming up short with was some fabric. That seemed to work out well when I was at Pier 1 looking at something else when I came across napkins on clearance. Such a perfect size! And at 98 cents each, I didn't mind that they were my only new purchase for this project. Well, besides getting the pictures printed. I sort of felt the urge to go to other stores and look at their napkin selection, but I restrained myself. The colors and textures I found there fit the colors of Carson's room, which is where these hang. You can see the theme here, as we used the same stuff Richard had - just in the new house. Hanging these in his room will show him how excited we were for his arrival!

It was hard to photograph this project, due to the glare of the pictures (even though I always opt for matte finish). I took a close up of each hoop so you could see the different types of stitches and embellishments I used. I had gotten all of the pictures sewn on before baby, and was actually hanging the arrangement the morning I was having contractions! I added the embellishments after I had him. I am over the moon with how this turned out! 














1 comment:

GnomeLover said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those are fabulous! I love them so much! You did a great job with the pictures and the materials. And I desperately regret not taking any pregnancy pictures after seeing yours! Of course, I never looked as good as you do pregnant. I hope you are getting sleep and I am so enjoying you posting again.

Jenni