Thursday, March 7, 2013

Opera Art



Jon and I have been attending operas since we were dating. When we lived in Illinois, we attended a few in Peoria. Now that we have been in Michigan for 10 years, we've been to several in Grand Rapids and one in Detroit. I would love to go to one in Chicago someday, as the theatre there looks really cool.

The last 2 we've been to in Grand Rapids have been after Richard was born. They've turned into overnight dates, even though the drive is only an hour. It is so nice to get away, get dressed up, have a lovely dinner, etc.....

We've now been to 4 in Grand Rapids, and the programs are works of art in themselves. The 9 x 9 books have beautiful art on the front. Even though I am a scrapbooker, I don't really have a place for these because I don't take pictures at the opera to include with it. And yes, I've tried to take a few pictures there and they never turn out. So, I dreamt up another way to enjoy these memories.

I bought a pack of 12 x 12 canvases at Michael's. They came in a pack of 7 for $19.99 and then I had a 40% off coupon. Using 4 of them, I have 3 extra for future projects. I painted them a mustard color with some paint I already had, and did some shading around the edges with brown chalk. Then I adhered the program covers to them. Lastly, I coated them with a product I have that gives matte protection and texture.

No comments: