Sunday, September 12, 2010

Up, Up and Away!

Battle Creek is a hot spot - literally - for hot air balloons. They usually come around twice a summer: over the 4th of July, there is the Field of Flight festival where there are daily launches. And just recently, at the end of August, the US National Hot Air Balloon Championships were held. I remember that week being absolutely beautiful, weather wise. Calm, clear blue skies every day! They usually launch every morning, and every evening. It certainly is a sight to be seen! I saw them every morning on my way to work - there can be dozens at a time along the horizon. If you have your windows open, you might be startled at the sound of a big "poooooffffff", only to look out and see one floating over your house. All over town, you will see the team trucks driving around frantically, trying to predict where the landing will be. It's pretty darn cool.
So when Jade Scott had one of her shop updates a few weeks ago, you can imagine how delighted I was to see that she had made some hot air balloons. And lucky for me, I was able to snag a few. It really makes me happy to make jewelry that has a sentimental meaning to me - something that reminds me of an event or time in my life - something that I can relate to. Here are some necklaces I created with the pendants.

Cloud Nine
balloon pendant by jade scott
9 connector from industrial chic
blue porcelain disk beads (the glaze reminds me of the sky)
silver bird
yellow turquoise chunks
brass flowers

Flying High
balloon pendant by jade scott
faceted liverstone rounds
black enamel filigree beads
red rondelle beads
large and small blue round beads

1 comment:

Courtney Breul said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful necklaces! Love those hot air balloons.