Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beauty. Style. Design. Art of the Auto

The Art Center of Battle Creek, where I volunteer, is all moved back into our "home". This is after relocating the gift shop during the summer while major road construction was going on (you may remember me mentioning this). To mark the start of our normal exhibit schedule, October starts off with:

Beauty. Style. Design. Art of the Auto

I am so looking forward to the opening reception this Sunday. This show features the works of nine nationally known artists, many of whom have worked for and designed for the large automakers. Many people think about vehicles as merely a way to get from point A to point B. But there are many reasons why I now have a great appreciation for them. Having been with my husband now for over about 10 years, he is a major motor head. He not only works in the automotive industry, but has had a passion for working on cars since his teens. We have owned and restored many muscle cars, and enjoy going to car shows all summer long. I admire the craftsmanship, quality and thought that went into designing and producing cars before my time. Like the age old saying - "they just don't make 'em like they used to."

Another reason that is now near and dear to me comes from living in Michigan. The heritage of Detroit - aka Motor City - is very powerful. Parts of the city are so sad to see now, knowing how amazing it once was.

I really love the fact that our Art Center brings a diverse representation of art to our community. Since being involved there, the exhibits that come to mind are Art of the Tattoo (featuring local tattoo artists), last years Aviation Exhibit, and now this Auto Exhibit. Many people might turn their nose up, saying "what do tattoos have to do with art?" but tattooing really is an art form. By doing these types of shows, we bring in so many people who might not consider visiting an art center.

I have been gathering up many jewelry elements in preparation to make some auto themed jewelry to sell in the gift shop during this show:

necklace featuring a Jade Scott pendant with classic car images

industrial chic lockets filled with muscle car images

the one on the left also features industrial chic nuts

the glaze on the orange ceramic rounds on the other one look as though they have "oil" splotches on them

industrial chic car charm make a nice double stranded bracelet

If you've been following me for a while, you might remember my posts last year about Fordite (cabochons cut from layers of old car paint). I still have a few pieces hoarded away, but used a clasp here on this bangle bracelet. The Vintaj form is wrapped with wire and peyote stitched delica beads.

the industrial chic line pops up again with these earrings

they look like replacement bulbs for lighting in cars

If you are in the Battle Creek are this month, I hope you are able to see this awesome exhibit!

2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds intriguing Heather! I love how you have integrated the Industrial Chic line so seamlessly into your designs. I have a ton of that stuff but haven't used much yet. I think you may have inspired me ;-)
Thanks!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

SummersStudio said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm with Erin on the seamless integration of the Industrial Chic line into your designs. Fabulous! I love that you've created a line of jewelry to coincide with this exhibit. Good luck!