Saturday, February 20, 2010

Home Series

I keep coming across "homey" design elements for jewelry, and they've really appealed to me because I love being a home owner. I guess for a girl, it starts out when you are young and have a dollhouse. As I grew older, I started collecting beautiful light up towns for the holidays. My husband and I still live in the first home we've bought, and I still love it just as much as the day we bought it. Sure, there are things you have to deal with that are a major pain, but all in all it's a good feeling to live in a place that you've made your own.

I've just listed these 3 necklaces on Etsy.

This first one used a polymer clay house from Heather Wynn. I had the most perfect blue lucite key from Ornamentea to hang it from. For the beaded chain, I tried to pull all of the colors in: the warm brown, the pale blue, the sage green. I didn't have any pink beads that matched, so I made my own peyote stitched ones!
This necklace uses raku clay houses from Jubilee. They are currently featured in the Spring issue of Stringing magazine. I made a little neighborhood out of them by wiring them to one of those wood sticks I love so much. To give the wood stick a little more character, I used my wood burner to leave the word "love" on it.
These artists inspired me to create my own home with my metal working skills. I etched a piece of copper with a heart pattern, and then engraved "shingles" onto the brass roof. The blank back of this pendant would accommodate some more engraving, and I've offered to add that. The buyer can choose any words, phrase, quote, etc... and I will engrave it.

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Having just moved into a dream house in December I am smitten with your designs. I love them all equally! I think I would have a hard time choosing. Thank you so much for sharing! Enjoy the day! Erin

SummersStudio said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Heather, your necklaces are all fantastic. But the house you created yourself is at the top of my list in these pieces. It is just beautiful.

Gaea said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These are all fantastic! I particularly like the necklace with the ceramic houses all lined up! Sweet!