Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Epic Sales


 For a fashion lover like myself, sales around the holidays are exciting. I mean, of course I am shopping for others, but I really don't have anyone to buy clothes for. To me, clothes are pretty personal not only because of style but also because of size. The last thing you want to do is "gift" someone an errand if they have to return something that doesn't fit, and then by that time everything is picked over and they can't find the correct size. Anyway, I'm getting off track here..... one of the silver linings of Covid is the sales this year are..... EPIC!!! They change daily, and it certainly can put the pressure on to buy because it is such a good deal and/or you don't know if something is going to sell out and/or if the sale will be as good the next day. All of that aside, I am still trying really hard to ONLY select items I truly love and that are unique. Case in point...... Anthro has had some AMAZING sales this season. And I haven't bought a thing! At one point, all clothing was 40% off which is something I have never seen. Currently, the entire site is 30% off. I refresh their new arrivals daily in hopes of something I love enough to buy, and no luck yet. There are things I like of course, but not enough to buy I guess. Murphy's Law though is that as soon as the sale is over, there will be like 10 things I want! Another point I want to make is that even though we have seen a lot of big retailers go out of business recently, it's the small businesses that are really hurting. I've made it a point more than ever this year to shop small.

I've been pulled back into the Loft and it's sister store, Ann Taylor recently. I've been really into the gradient/space dyed sweater trend, and the pastel rainbow palette is popping up all over. Ruffle details are also all over the place, but honestly I could do without them. This sweater just made me happy - it's like Rainbow Brite/80's - and happy is definitely what I need as we go into these long Winter months (as you can see, we have a dusting of snow and I go without socks as long as I can because I am in denial). When I bought this sweater, it was 70% off!!! It is currently 50% off. I've also seen it on sale for a flat $25. Another example of a great sale at the Loft is yesterday I ordered a velvet puffer vest that was something like 50% off and then an additional 40% off!?!?! Crazy!
 

Another thing I will add to talking about clothes being a personal gift...... I feel like I am a hard person for my husband to buy for. He knows that the entire year I know what I want, know what the best deals are, and purchase accordingly. He of course thinks I have too many clothes, jewelry, etc.... (I could argue the same about his hobby). I am not really into fine jewelry - I prefer costume jewelry. I still put links to clothes/jewelry on my list but then as I watch the sales daily, I wonder if or when he might purchase something. I can't very well ask him if he bought something because of course I still want to be surprised. And as I mentioned earlier about sizing, I then feel like I am hurting his feelings if something doesn't work out and I end up returning it. So, I try to come up with practical items for my list that I very much need but don't buy myself. But then he argues those things are boring. Any other ladies out there feel like they just can't win??? I know my close friends and I talk a lot about feeling like we create the Christmas magic for everyone in the family, but no one does the same for us. I will say that earlier in our relationship, he was great at coming up with unique ideas on his own. But I guess after almost 20 years, this is what happens. Sigh.....

No comments: