Thursday, November 29, 2018

Master Bedroom Refresh

 The latest room we've finished refreshing is our master bedroom. Back in May, we got a new bedroom set and mattress which required us to move the bed from the wall with the door on it to where it is now (we upgraded from a Queen to a King). It hasn't been until this past month that we've had time to paint and redecorate. You can purchase the furniture from Macy's (Avondale Collection) or from Art Van (Meadowbrook Collection). We bought from Art Van. I took a risk on one of those "mattresses in a box" based on some recommendations and am very pleased. Ours is from Amazon and at the time I got it delivered for under $400! I think mattress prices are such a scam and after sleeping on this one for 6 months now I can honestly say I would recommend it to anyone! The other item that was updated at that time was the ceiling fan, as we moved the existing one into the spare bedroom when we did that redo. You can find our new fan at Menards. I'm glad Biscuit cooperated being in the pictures, as the bed is his favorite place to be (although, under the covers).
We had 4 can lights in the tray ceiling but they were small and didn't work very well. When we started the project this month Jon replaced those as well as added 4 more. This has made a huge difference, especially to a reader like me who can turn them off with a remote control from bed (that's the little white box on the headboard)! Yes, it does bother my OCD personality to have it there, but as I age convenience wins over perfection sometimes! Since we needed all new bedding for the new size, we decided to go all white to give the feel of a modern hotel. All of the bedding is from Kohl's - sheets by
Vera Wang, pillows by Columbia, comforter by Cuddle Duds. I had intended on using these DIY throw pillows on the bed (which is a good post to get an idea of what the bedroom looked like before), but they looked too bright to me. The bed looks boring, I know, but in all honesty I never really make it daily so additional fluff is unnecessary I guess. Keep it clean and simple! After installing the lights, we painted the ceiling white. Then painted the walls and portion of the tray ceiling (I believe the bluish grey color is "master matte" or something like that). We planned to paint the portion of the tray a lighter blue, but it didn't look right so we went over it with the same wall color. Next was painting all of the trim white and we got new blinds as the existing ones were broken and dingy. We selected a very simple white fabric honeycomb style.
On to the barn door!!! We replaced the door to our bathroom (please excuse any mess you see in there) with a barn door. We got both the track, and door, at Menards. We stained the door to match the furniture. 
With the bed moving to the other wall we were able to do this and even though we gave up wall space, we love it! It makes our bathroom feel so much more open too as the traditional door opened up and covered a good half of another opening that went into our toilet and shower as you can see in this pic.

The handle was found at Home Depot.
I made this canvas (scrapbook paper, paint, stamps, etc...) many years ago at our old house, as it matched our kitchen (hung over the eat in table). I am glad we were able to use it again in this space as it goes perfectly! Jon's closet is on the left (my walk-in is off the bathroom) and the entry door is on the right.
The decor is mementos from our travels as well as my globe obsession/collection (all thrifted). This little cubbie shelf I posted a DIY about in 2014 is still in the mix. 
The gallery above the bed (and art on other walls) was all used before, just in different configurations over the years. It was in our living room at our old house, but then was already in our bedroom when we moved and before we started the refresh. Jon made the pipe shelves to hold the alebrijes figures from our honeymoon in Mexico. Maps, pictures and masks are from Mexico, St. Lucia, and Belize. I had a hard time with some of the bright colors as I didn't think they went with the more subdued blue and deep brown, but I'm really liking how it all came together now.
As much as I hate things being is disarray and having chaos, it is so rewarding when these projects are done!

No comments: