Thursday, January 6, 2011

Call me old fashioned.....

I came across an interesting article on Yahoo today, entitled Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know. Since I am having a baby in 2011, it peaked my interest. When you are pregnant, your natural thoughts are those of excitement and cute little onesies. But then it sinks in.... how am I going to raise this child? What will the world be like when he is 10? (It's a boy, which I don't think I've mentioned on here since we found out).


So I thought it would be fun to share my thoughts about a few of the items listed, and to see what other people thought too. Some humor, some seriousness. Here goes.....



Video tape: WHAT!?!?!? So you mean I'm going to have to re-buy all of my Disney movies on Blu-Ray or something? Seriously though, I don't know why I have hung on to VHS tapes as well as 2 VCR's in the basement. I guess I thought it would be easy to install these into a kids room someday, so that if they got broken it wouldn't be a big loss. Actually, this last week Jon & I went through an ordeal about buying a new TV. Currently, we have a 27" flat panel with a built in DVD player. It gets the job done, in my opinion. Jon wants at least a 46" LED or LCD or WTF I don't know! Little did I know that also meant a new Blu-Ray player, sound system, and special cords that cost $100 to hook it all up. Luckily, one store was out of stock of what we agreed on and then the big sales were over. I'm going to try to hold off on that as long as I can.



The separation of work and home: When you're carrying an email-equipped computer in your pocket, it's not just your friends who can find you -- so can your boss. For kids born this year, the wall between office and home will be blurry indeed. This.... is an important topic for Jon and I. We are on the same page here. What happens at the office, stays at the office. We do not bring our work home with us. Sure, there are some rough days once in a while. But for the most part, we put in our 40 and that's it! Our jobs are not our lives, and if they ever did become that, I'm sure we'd look at other professions. I know it is unheard of, but I have a no frills pay-as-you-go cell phone. And Jon's is pretty simple too, issued to him through work. I don't even know how to text if I wanted to! Do I feel like I am missing out on anything? Not in the least bit. I see these 20 some year olds scurrying around the office, so involved in their blackberries (or whatever the latest gadget is) that they hardly know they are going to bump into you. They are so worried about getting ahead or what's next - what an exhausting way to live! Life is complicated enough without all of that!



Books, magazines, and newspapers: Like video tape, words written on dead trees are on their way out. Sure, there may be books -- but for those born today, stores that exist solely to sell them will be as numerous as record stores are now. As a published jewelry designer, I must say that one of the biggest thrills is holding that physical magazine in your hand and seeing your piece in print. I like books. I like wandering around Barnes & Noble. And I still rent books from the library. This brings to mind a scene from the first Sex & The City movie, where Carrie is reading a book and Big asks her if she is last person in New York that actually takes out library books. She casually responds, "I love the smell". I'm sure if I tried an e-reader, I would like it. But it still wouldn't be the same. The only time I think I can agree with doing away with books is when it comes to text books. Paying $130 for a book and then when you try to resell it to the school they only want to give you $25 - that was the biggest racket!



Movie rental stores: You actually got in your car and drove someplace just to rent a movie? Yeah, yeah I still do. Although I just signed up for Netflix today.



Hand-written letters: For that matter, hand-written anything. When was the last time you wrote cursive? In fact, do you even know what the word "cursive" means? Kids born in 2011 won't -- but they'll put you to shame on a tiny keyboard. While I probably will never write letters like I used to, I still think a hand-written "thank you" is important. As well as other cards when appropriate. Come on, you have to agree with me because I have a desk full of cards that I will probably never use up in a lifetime!



Commercial music radio: Smartphones with music-streaming programs like Pandora are a better solution that doesn't include ads screaming between every song. Okay, I have to agree on this one. After being introduced to satellite radio, it is the best. thing. ever.


So, there you have it. I am not saying my views are right or wrong, this is just.... the way I live. Don't think I am totally backwards though - I do pay bills and bank online for example - two things I know Grandparents would never trust. It's just interesting to take a look at these things and the differences in generations. I just hope that I can do my best in giving fair views and values to our little boy, and that he will grow up to be fabulous!

1 comment:

Lorelei Eurto said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

yay! a boy! congrats!! I love lil' boys- my nephew is just the cutest thing on the planet.