Thursday, July 16, 2009

Raiding the Men's Department

You might remember a while ago, I posted about a cool jewelry material called Fordite. You can see the posts here and here. I continue to enjoy working with this material whenever I can, and should have some new designs to show soon.

In keeping with the theme of repurposing old things (which I love) and automotive history (which both my husband and I love), I want a Kim White purse!!! Jon actually sent me this link, so it is like he is giving me permission to splurge, right? Hee. Hee. Check out her website here. Wouldn't it be cool to pick one made with Ford fabric, and then attach a Fordite cab to it, perhaps surrounded by filigree?

Why are Kim White Handbags so special? Made from vintage automotive fabrics, Kim White uses dead stock never-used textiles intended for use in American automobiles: cars, trucks and vans. She fortuitously unearthed an entire warehouse of automotive fabric, which may be the last existing stock anywhere in the US, and she is the sole owner of these amazing textiles.

I also fully intend to measure myself to order a top from Etsy seller Glamarita. Ronnie makes clothes from men's ties! How cool is that?

4 comments:

SueBeads said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yep, cool! Also in NorthStyle catalog, I found a peacock top! You should check it out!

TesoriTrovati said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is a wickedly cool purse! I read about Fordite about 2 years ago and it was scarce then. I did see some at B&B but it was pricey....I got some really interesting large focal stones that I intend to filigree wrap that have that sort of striated style...they are some sort of enhanced stone, but the colors just pop and reminded me of Fordite when I saw them! Thanks for sharing such great inspiration.
Enjoy the day!
Erin
P.S. If your husband sent you that link it is absolutely permission granted! I wish mine did that....

peacockfairy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey Sue - I checked out the North Style website, but it wasn't on there..... :-(

Erin, I know exactally what stones you are talking about the resemble Fordite! Do you remember what booth you saw the Fordite at B & B? I found some at Jess Imports, but didn't see it anywhere else.

Best Care Products said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.