Friday, August 2, 2019

July Reads

Another month has flown on by, and I completed 4 books. I was hoping to have a 5th completed before the month ended, but I started one book only to be derailed into abandoning it for the time being to start reading something else. I don't do that often - I usually see a book through unless I really hate it. We take our week long cabin vacation in July, and I always look forward to reading there! In fact, I finished Little Fires Everywhere on the drive up, read The Peacock Summer while there, and got about half way through Burial Rites. So, I did the majority of my reading this month on vacation. Let's talk about the books!

Little Fires Everywhere by: Celeste Ng
I have to admit, seeing that Netflix is turning this into a series (with Reese Witherspoon no less, who has already been successful in bringing Big Little Lies to HBO) is what prompted me to finally rent this book from the library. I would describe the plot as "slow burn", but it will still keep your interest. It focuses on the relationship between two women and their children - one woman is the picture of suburbia perfection (Elena), the other is a carefree artist (Mia) who doesn't stay in one place for too long. This truly brings to light the curiosity we have when someone doesn't live the same way that we do or the way we might think is "right". Elena let's Mia's lifestyle grate on her so much that she starts digging into her past. Without giving any spoilers away, Elena and Mia's actions affect their kids in ways they do not realize.

The Peacock Summer by: Hannah Richell
My lovely friend Sarah gave me this copy, knowing my love of peacocks.
I really enjoy these type of books where there is a long history that younger family members are navigating through. The story focuses on Lillian and her Granddaughter Maggie, both coming together at the end of Lillian's life. Lillian's abusive relationship comes to the surface, along with her true love that she gave up. Both women are rooted to the vast family estate which is now in shambles - I love when a place becomes an important "character" too. Lovely ending and the way the peacocks were woven in was charming! 
 
Burial Rites by: Hannah Kent        
    This has been on my "to read" list, as I knew of friends who raved about it. I found it at our local thrift shop and was thrilled! This is a heavy story that will stay with you for a while - so not really a typical Summer vacation read - but I couldn't wait so I went ahead. Whew, it did not disappoint. It is based on the true story of the last women who was beheaded in Iceland in 1829. Set against Iceland's stark landscape, Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution. Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murderer, the family at first avoids Agnes. Only Tóti, a priest Agnes has mysteriously chosen to be her spiritual guardian, seeks to understand her. But as Agnes's death looms, the farmer's wife and their daughters learn there is another side to the sensational story they've heard. It is so interesting to me to learn about how people lived (or should I say survived) in the past and in such brutal places. Hannah does a great job at describing the land, the clothes, the homes, the food, everything! All along, I felt there was more (or a reason) to what Agnes was accused of. I even held hope that her life would be spared. My only complaint about this book is it ended very ubruptly, but then when I thought about it perhaps it was a symbol of how quick Agne's death was.
 
And Then She Was Gone by: Lisa Jewell
This was another thrift store find, and I picked it up because I like these fast moving thrillers. I thought I had read this author before, but now see that I haven't, so that goes to show the pros and/or cons when a genre tends to have similar covers or titles. This was fricking twisted!!! Wow! Definitely fits the bill of suspense that you won't want to put down. The main character, Ellie, is rebuilding her life 10 years after her 15 year old daughter went missing. She meets a new love interest but she can't put her finger on why something is off. I don't want to give any spoilers but there was a point in the beginning of the story where I had my suspicions about one of the characters being involved in the daughters disappearance and I was not wrong. However, I would have never guessed what that character actually did!

No comments: