Friday, May 11, 2012

Feeling inspired again!

I hadn’t been feeling very creative on the jewelry front lately. A few weeks ago I went into my studio while Richard was napping and I did not like anything I was making. I got frustrated and sulked the rest of the day. I got to wondering if this part of my life was going to take a break – for an extended period of time. The pressures of blogging, listing, promoting, etc… really gets to me sometimes. While my family is my #1 priority, I didn’t want to lose this part of my life!

I got an invite from Heather Powers of Humblebeads for a day of beading fun. Heather has been back in Grand Rapids (about an hour from me) for over a year now, and since going to her book signing last Fall, we hadn’t been able to connect since. I was determined to join the activities she had planned last Saturday – going to the Rings & Things trunk show (which I had never been), lunch, and then beading at her place. Her sweet aunt Rosanne came along as well (I met her in person at Bead & Button last year). I had such a wonderful time!!! I paced myself with buying at the show, knowing that Bead & Button was coming up soon. Lunch was wonderful, and then Heather showed us how to make a beaded bangle. The white one is the one she showed us how to do, and then we went on to create various versions that can be worn together. I added a few buttons to my white one. The second one I made was a take on a similar bangle I made a few years ago that I had always wanted to recreate. I used beads with large holes for movement, and then some intervals of fabric and smaller sections of the white beads. In the version I made a few years ago, I actually made peyote stitched tubes that I stitched around the wire – very time consuming! I am grateful for this new technique that is quicker, and I am anxious to make more of these fun bangles. The possibilities are endless, and it’s a great way to use up odds and ends beads for the little accents. My creativity has been awakened once again, and I am excited! Just in time too as I will be getting ready for a local show next Friday. Thanks Heather & Rosanne for a great time!

Oh, and the best part….. I got to buy some Humblebeads too, straight from the artist!



2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So pretty! I have used that same techinique on a bangle I will reveal on Sunday for the button swap. I best be off to photograph it! What fun to have beady good friends nearby, even a short trip. Wish we were closer! See you soon!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Erin Siegel said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Heather, How wonderful! Oh, I would have loved to join you on your beady date! And let me just tell you, I know exactly how you feel with being a mom of young children and trying to keep up with the rest of your life. It is not easy. I've had the same exact feelings as you and I STILL do. I've been thinking I will take a break from the jewelry world after this year, when we are through with the heavy promotion for Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry. I just don't know. I struggle with this pretty much daily. I have a hard time balancing everything I feel I should be doing.

Heather, I'm really looking forward to seeing you at Bead & Button. We have so much in common and sooo much to chat about! Will you have your sweet little Richard with you?