Tuesday, June 1, 2021

May Reads

Spring Fever, by: Mary Kay Andrews

Mary is my new go-to for easy fun reads since I have read all of Elin Hilderbrand's books. I got this copy at my local used bookstore. Annajane is over her ex-husband Mason, and engaged to a great new guy. She is so confident in her new future that she even attends Mason's wedding. But a major catastrophe halts the nuptials as the bride is walking down the isle. As the family navigates this health scare, it's become more clear to Mason that the interruption was a blessing in disguise as he finds out more and more flaws about his relationship. Annajane and Mason both work on unresolved feelings for each other, which happen to include being passionate about the family business they both work for.

 When Life Gives You Pears, by: Jeannie Gaffigan

Longtime fan of Jim - saw him in person, watch his shows, read his books. So when I saw his wife wrote a book, I picked it up at my local used bookstore. They live a busy life in New York with 5 kids, and suddenly Jeannie is diagnosed with a brain tumor (that is pear shaped). This book details her ordeal in surgery and recovery, and how hard it was for her to go from the lead caregiver in her family to the one needing the care. When I read these books, I am very inspired at how people get through things like this.

The Lost Apothecary, by: Sarah Penner

My husband and boys gifted me this book for Mother's Day. I asked Jon if he read what the book was about (he said he skimmed over the summary) and we had a laugh as the main theme is poisoning men. This story jumps from the late 1700's in London to modern day. The apothecary, once ran to provide cures to help women, is inherited by a daughter. The daughter is wronged by love and decides to change the business to provide poisons to other women in similar situations. Word spreads and women know where to go in secret to get what they need. Modern day jumps to a women who is visiting London on what would be her 10th wedding anniversary. Torn in trying to figure out if she wants to stay in her marriage, she finds an unusual bottle on the banks of the river. The historic investigator in her wants to track down it's history, and she eventually uncovers the untold story about this time period. I really enjoyed this read, and it was especially interesting to me as I am turning toward natural remedies to incorporate into my lifestyle.

Chihuahua of the Baskervilles, by: Esri Allbritten

This was another Mother's Day gift from my boys, since we have owned Chihuahuas. For something my 6 and 10 year old picked based off the cover, it was a surprisingly enjoyable read! This story revolves around Charlotte Baskerville who owns a successful dog clothing company, and has just lost her beloved Petey whom the company was named after. Soon she starts seeing (and hearing) Petey's ghost and a supernatural reporting team is sent in to cover the story. Suspicions arise as to who in Charlotte's family and live in employees would want to harm her to take over the business and inherit her fortune. A quirky cast of characters also made this book fun.

No comments: