Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Get The Look For Less : Beaded Sandals

I recently saw someone I follow post the prettiest beaded sandals. When I clicked the link to purchase them, I was sticker shocked! In US Dollars, they cost $292.99! No way was I paying that much for some leather straps with plastic beads on them. As a past jewelry designer/seller, my jaw also drops when I see the prices on similar colorful jewelry that has been trendy lately (but that's a post for a different day). Of course, I wanted to DIY these sandals right away.

I first set out to buy some lace up sandals. After searching the retailers I usually shop, I ended up getting these on eBay. When you are looking, you want to make sure the straps are not "fixed" on the sides, as that will not allow you to string the beads on properly. The laces on these came all the way off, or else you want ones that you can at least unlace up to the toe area. I then went to buy some pony beads, which you can find at any craft store, Walmart, etc.... very cheap. To match the expensive pair, I noticed they used not only a mix of colors, but also finishes (i.e. solid, clear, shimmery).

To start, I undid the laces up until the first section across my toes. I started adding beads WITH my foot in the sandal. This way, you will know how much room to accommodate for your foot....... meaning, having the straps too tight, the beads would dig into your feet and hurt (and no one likes shoes that hurt). I tried to be as random with the different type of beads while still creating an ombre rainbow effect. Once you get up to the ankle straps, it is just random colors. When I had one sandal done, it was easy to just repeat the other.

I am in LOVE with how these turned out, and being someone who enjoys wearing color they will go with a lot (today just happened to be another DIY I did - tie dye dress). How much did they end up costing? I would say under $50, and that is with having lots of leftover beads that my kids and I are now crafting up another plan with (stay tuned)!




 

No comments: